Andrea Lisa Etel Mara Manette Shawna Lora SignShine
Celebrity Corner

CLASSES AND PROGRAMS

Find a class
Share programs

PRODUCTS

DVDs
CDs
Books
Flash cards
Board books
Toys
Others
Share products

FUN

Pictures
Videos
Share your pic
and video

Become an Instructor

Signing With Babies And Children: Signing saved the day!

Subscribe now!

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Signing saved the day!

I wanted to share this story with all of you because it shows how valuable signing can be even with preschoolers. My daughter recently started going to preschool two mornings a week. This experience is very new to her as she has never been to a drop off class before. She has adjusted quite well except there is one little boy in her class who keeps pinching her behind the teachers back. Fireese doesn’t want to be a tattle tail but it is really upsetting her and isn’t sure how to handle the situation. Every time we are at school I ask her to tell me who the boy is, as she doesn’t know his name, so I can make the teacher aware of the problem. However, there are always many kids and parents around in the morning that she is uncomfortable pointing him out to me. Finally, yesterday we were in the hall and Fireese turns to me and signs “mean boy red shirt”. I was SO proud of her for figuring out a comfortable way for her to let me know who the boy was. That way I was able to privately talk to the teacher and ask him to keep an eye on the child’s behavior. Fireese was also so proud of herself that she was able to figure out a way to let me know who it was without making a big scene. I love signing!!
Laura Berg, My Smart Hands, 'educating young minds' http://www.mysmarthands.com

1 comment:

Holly Tried It said...

Yeah for Fireese and signing! She's such a clever little girl.