Andrea Lisa Etel Mara Manette Shawna Lora SignShine
Celebrity Corner

CLASSES AND PROGRAMS

Find a class
Share programs

PRODUCTS

DVDs
CDs
Books
Flash cards
Board books
Toys
Others
Share products

FUN

Pictures
Videos
Share your pic
and video

Become an Instructor

Signing With Babies And Children: Project Nim: Baby Sign Language with Chimps

Subscribe now!

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Project Nim: Baby Sign Language with Chimps

Project Nim, a movie about a chimpanzee named Nim Chimpsky, the most famous primate to make a dent in the human world as a result of his participation in a landmark linguistics study.


The documentary follows 1973 Columbia University project intended to teach primates sign language. Is that a form of Baby Sign Langauge.

Did you watch the movie?
Is signing a form of communication when words are not enough?

I didn't watch the movie, yet, but I would love to get YOUR input.


Let the Sign Shine,
etel
http://www.signshine.com/
http://www.babysignshine.com/

1 comment:

marab said...

When I was a little girl I saw a movie with a chimpanzee that could sign. I was SO enthralled! Like most children, as a child I wanted to talk to my stuffed animals. I wanted to connect with them and know what they were potentially thinking. Once I saw that chimp signing, I was ready to learn Sign Language. And eventually, I did. :) This movie looks fascinating and resonates with my first connection to signing. Thanks for sharing!