Andrea Lisa Etel Mara Manette Shawna Lora SignShine
Celebrity Corner

CLASSES AND PROGRAMS

Find a class
Share programs

PRODUCTS

DVDs
CDs
Books
Flash cards
Board books
Toys
Others
Share products

FUN

Pictures
Videos
Share your pic
and video

Become an Instructor

Signing With Babies And Children: Tips for baby to pick up signs faster

Subscribe now!

Friday, January 9, 2009

Tips for baby to pick up signs faster

I often get asked if I have any tips on how to get a baby to sign faster. I always say the most important thing for parents to do to help their child pick up signs faster is to be consistent in their signing. It is more important for parents to sign each and every time they say a word than to sign 30 words once in a while. I always tell parents to start with a few signs that they are comfortable with and use on a regular basis, such as the word ‘milk’. Every single time you say the word ‘milk’ make the sign. The baby will pick this sign up faster than if you only sign it ever few times you say the word. You can sign as many words as you want and introduce as many as you’d like however, make sure you are consistent.

It is also important to keep in mind that all babies are different; some are going to pick it up faster than others. I started signing with my daughter when she was 4 months old but she didn’t start signing back until 9.5 months. However, I’ve had parents in my class who started signing with their baby at six months and the next week they started signing back. Others have not signed until eleven or twelve months. Make sure to be patient; the signs will come if you are consistent!
written by: Laura Berg Founder of My Smart Hands http://www.mysmarthands.com

1 comment:

etel @ SignShine® said...

I truly think consistency is the key element in any success. Not only in education, diet for example, but especially with our children. Thank you Laura!