Andrea Lisa Etel Mara Manette Shawna Lora SignShine
Celebrity Corner

CLASSES AND PROGRAMS

Find a class
Share programs

PRODUCTS

DVDs
CDs
Books
Flash cards
Board books
Toys
Others
Share products

FUN

Pictures
Videos
Share your pic
and video

Become an Instructor

Signing With Babies And Children: Shoes

Subscribe now!

Monday, August 31, 2009

Shoes


Zoë signs WAIT at 16 months
My daughter is 5 ½. It is amazing how time flies and how she grows right along with SignShine. This past weekend -- a beautiful one, even by California's standards -- we shared time with our guests from out of town at the Farmers' Market. What an interesting and colorful (albeit crowded) place to be with kids.

As we were enjoying lunch, one of the kids asked to go the potty. Sound familiar?? Of course, other kids wanted to join as well. I offered to take the kids to the restroom. My daughter stayed behind, but while waiting in line I spotted her back at the lunch tables -- she signed to me, asking "What are you doing?" And across the distance of a crowded place I signed, “We are waiting in line." We didn't have to shout back and forth. She didn't have to get frustrated. She didn't even need to walk across the market to talk. By simply making use of her beautiful little hands and her knowledge of this special language, we could say to each other everything we needed to say. Let the Sign Shine!

I could tell by my friend's reaction that she was impressed and intrigued. Then I watched as she asked my little girl something while gesturing to her feet. Next thing I know, my daughter is teaching her the sign for "SHOES." She was sharing the amazing world of sign language and I felt so proud.

If you are a signing family, I encourage you to try signing across the room, in a park, or from behind your child's window at school. Start with "I love you" or "I am proud of you." These are messages that kids love getting in all kinds of ways. The magic comes from sharing something unique with your child. And perhaps one day you'll witness your child passing that magic on.

Let the Sign Shine!
etel


Etel Leit, M.S.
Founder & Owner http://www.signshine.com/
Publisher http://www.babysignshine.com/

No comments: