Andrea Lisa Etel Mara Manette Shawna Lora SignShine
Celebrity Corner

CLASSES AND PROGRAMS

Find a class
Share programs

PRODUCTS

DVDs
CDs
Books
Flash cards
Board books
Toys
Others
Share products

FUN

Pictures
Videos
Share your pic
and video

Become an Instructor

Signing With Babies And Children: Routine Signs

Subscribe now!

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Routine Signs

From a mom active in the Baby Fingers program in NYC: Every morning, I make coffee or we go to Starbucks. I always sign "coffee." I always thought, "Why do I care if he knows this sign?" But I went ahead and did it - he seemed interested, and eventually started doing the sign for coffee himself! One morning, it was getting late and I hadn't had any coffee yet. Ayers and I were just rocking and relaxing, but he kept looking at me and doing a sign. I couldn't figure out what sign he was doing. A lot of his signs look alike, especially when he first starts using them, though I usually can figure them out through context. With this sign, I was drawing a blank. So as we just continued rocking, he signed this unknown sign, and I told him I was sorry but I wasn't sure what he was saying. Finally, out of the blue, I said, let's go to Starbucks and get some coffee. Well, he got really excited and started doing "that" sign again! He was really "talking" to me as if to say, "Yes, Mommy, I was wondering when you were going to get your coffee!!!" Remember how important routines are at home, yours and your baby's. Whether it's one sign or a handful, signing during routine times of your day will be a start to solidifying new vocabulary and supporting communication. www.mybabyfingers.com

1 comment:

etel @ SignShine® said...

What a wonderful story! I think my son's second sign was HOT, not because he drinks hot MILK (his first sign), but because of my HOT morning coffee.